Durban baby abandoned under tree not Siwaphiwe Mbambo

There were conflicting reports earlier when a newborn baby was found abandoned under a tree in Durban earlier on Saturday.

FILE: Picture: Supplied.

JOHANNESBURG - KwaZulu-Natal police say the search for the missing one-month-old Durban baby has not been called off.

There were conflicting reports earlier when a newborn baby was found abandoned under a tree in Clare Hills in Durban earlier on Saturday.

The police’s Thulane Zwane says the two incidents are not related.

The one-month-old Siwaphiwe Mbambo was snatched from her mother during a hijacking on Friday.

Zwane says their search for the infant will continue through the night.

“The search is still on as the baby is still missing. Other members will tonight follow up on leads on the information we’ve been receiving.”