Helen Suzman Foundation wants answers from Zuma about NPA head decision

HSF says it could still go to court after President Jacob Zuma announced he would not be suspending National Prosecuting Authority head Shaun Abrahams.

President Jacob Zuma in Parliament. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG – The Helen Suzman Foundation (HSF) says it could still go to court after President Jacob Zuma announced he would not be suspending National Prosecuting Authority head Shaun Abrahams.

On Friday, the president said there was no evidence that Abrahams was guilty of misconduct for charging Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan with fraud in 2016.

Abrahams withdrew the charges against Gordhan a few weeks after lodging them, leading to claims that he'd been acting with a political motive.

Zuma said he did not believe there was prima facie evidence against Abrahams, or advocates Sibongile Mzinyathi and Torie Pretorius.

The Presidency says Zuma has decided that he has not been given any evidence which suggests the three officials acted with an ulterior motive or that they not fit to hold office.

But HSF director Francis Antoni says they want the submissions made by the three officials and the reasons for Zuma’s decision.

“We will write to the president to ask for the submissions made by the three gentlemen. We have already asked for copies of the submissions on previous occasions. We will also ask the president for his reasons on his decision regarding Abrahams.”

Abrahams had previously said he was not politically captured and made the decisions on the finance minister independently.

WATCH: Now you see them, now you don't: NPA drops Gordhan charges

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)