TMPD declines application for Mamelodi anti-immigrant march

A group calling itself 'The Mamelodi Concerned Residents' planned to march to the Department of Home Affairs against immigrants in SA.

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba engages residents of Rosettenville about the crime and challenges in the area but residents say they have had enough of foreigners running brothels and selling drugs. Picture: Kgothatso Mogale/EWN

JOHANNESBURG – Eyewitness News has learnt that the Tshwane Metro Police has declined at application for a march against foreigners, which was scheduled to take place on Friday.

A group calling itself “The Mamelodi Concerned Residents” planned to march to the Department of Home Affairs to protest against government allowing immigrants into the country.

Dozens of shops and properties owned by foreigners have been attacked in Atteridgeville, Mamelodi and Pretoria West in the past week, raising concerns of a flare-up in xenophobic violence.

While the Tshwane Metro Police declined to comment on the record at this stage, it’s understood the application for a march by Mamelodi residents was declined because of safety concerns.

While the group has claimed the protest would be non-violent, the authorities took into account developments in Tshwane over the last week.

The Congolese Community South Africa’s Prince Binda says immigrants are also concerned by crime.

“We love this country, and we want to make sure that we work hand in hand to make South Africa free of drugs, prostitution and every other things that are being said. Let’s not blame it on foreigners.”

A coalition of civic organisations as embarked on a campaign against xenophobia.

(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)