ANC stalwarts 'disappointed' with party’s failure to address request
The stalwarts say that the party's top six promised to discuss their request to have a separate consultative conference during the party's NEC meeting.
JOHANNESBURG – African National Congress (ANC) stalwarts say they are disappointed that the party failed to address their request to de-link the consultative conference from the policy gathering in June.
The stalwarts, who met on Thursday, say that in their previous meeting with the party's top six, a promise was made that the issue would be discussed during the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting.
But at the briefing this week, the ANC made no mention of the stalwarts.
The veterans, who raised concerns about the state of the party, want the conference to openly discuss problems facing the organisation in the hope that it will ultimately lead to the rebuilding and renewal of the party.
The ANC NEC agreed to hold the conference two days before the policy gathering in June, but the veterans rejected this, saying they want the conference to be held earlier.
ANC stalwart Fazel Randera says the party made an undertaking to discuss this concern at the last NEC meeting.
“We were looking forward to an understanding that discussions would take place at the last NEC meeting last week.”
He says it was President Jacob Zuma who committed to ensuring that the stalwarts' concerns would be a significant part of ongoing discussions.
The stalwarts now want an urgent meeting with the party.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)