ANC appeals for space in dealing with 'war room' saga
Gwede Mantashe gave an update on the matter at Luthuli House following the National Executive Committee (NEC) Lekgotla.
JOHANNESBURG – African National Congress (ANC) Secretary General Gwede Mantashe has asked for space to deal with the so-called "war room" involving the party’s general manager and says the party takes the matter seriously.
Mantashe gave an update on Monday at Luthuli House following the National Executive Committee (NEC) Lekgotla.
It emerged in court papers last week, that PR company owner Sihle Bolani is suing the ANC for over R2 million, saying that she worked for the party’s covert unit, which was allegedly formed to discredit the opposition.
Mantashe didn’t want to be drawn on commenting about whether or not the party will take action against Ignatius Jacobs.
“We’re appealing for you to give us space to deal with this matter, we take it very seriously. It’s a serious matter to us.”
However, he did suggest that there might be disciplinary action on the cards.
“I would imagine that recordings and all those things will fall in what’s called internal disciplinary hearing evidence.”
He says this is an internal matter that the party is dealing with it, saying it would be wrong to conduct the party’s internal disciplinary hearing in media briefings.
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)