DA slams exclusion of recommendations in draft SABC report
The DA says the recommendations should have been included & refused to take part in the committee’s formal adoption of the draft report by walking out.
PARLIAMENT - The Democratic Alliance (DA) has slammed the decision by Parliament's inquiry into the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board to release its draft report without including recommendations.
The committee decided earlier on Friday, after hearing legal advice, that affected parties should first respond to the main body of the draft report, including its findings, and that the recommendations would be drawn up after their responses had been considered.
But the DA says the recommendations should have been included and refused to take part in the committee’s formal adoption of the draft report by walking out.
BREAKING #SABCinquiry has adopted its draft report, affected parties will 2 weeks to submit their responses GD— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) January 27, 2017
DA MP Phumzile van Damme says: "Essentially you’re sending an incomplete report to affected parties and not giving them a chance to comment on its entirety. What will happen on Friday afternoon is that we’re giving those affected parties space to take the document up for litigation because we didn’t give them the full document for comment."
The committee reconvenes on 14 February to consider responses from affected parties and to finalise its recommendations.
#SABCinquiry DA's Van Damme and Waters have walked out, objecting to report being adopted without recommendations GD— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) January 27, 2017
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)