Mantashe: There is no ANC 'black-ops' unit
PR business owner Sihle Bolani is suing the ANC for over R2 million saying that she worked for the party's covert unit.
JOHANNESBURG – The African National Congress (ANC) Secretary General Gwede Mantashe says while the so-called "War Room" is not an ANC issue, he has met with the party's general manager Ignatius Jacobs who is implicated and will deal with the matter.
Mantashe was speaking on the sidelines of the party's national executive committee meeting in Centurion earlier on Wednesday.
It emerged on Tuesday in court papers that a public relations company owner Sihle Bolani is suing the ANC for over R2 million, saying she worked for the party's covert unit which was allegedly planning to create fake Twitter conversations and a TV program that would claim neutrality.
But the ANC has denied the claims, saying it did not sanction any such unit and doesn't owe her money.
LISTEN: Sihle Bolani speaks out on ANC 'War Room' saga
The secretary general says the so-called "War Room" is simply a matter of an individual that met a general manager and made deals with him.
“When you are a person who wants attention because there is a fallout somewhere, you will say many things. There is no such 'black-ops' for the ANC.”
Mantashe confirmed that Ignatius Jacobs, who admitted in court papers he offered Bolani nearly R1 million for work she has done, reports to him but claims he didn't know anything about the payment.
“No, I was not aware. I saw the letter yesterday and we tried to deal with the letter that they have signed.”
When asked if the party will take action against the manager, as it appears he signed the deal without his knowledge, Mantashe responded by saying the ANC is dealing with the issue.
(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)