Back to school: 58,000 pupils still not placed due to late applications
The Basic Education Dept says parents will be notified via SMS by this week on where their children have been placed.
JOHANNESBURG – The Gauteng Basic Education Department says 58,000 pupils are still without a school due to late applications.
Last year, the provincial department implemented an online application process for grade 1 and 8 pupils.
The department says parents will be notified by SMS by this week on where their children have been placed.
Spokesperson Oupa Bodibe says there is no need for concern.
“We hope that the number will drastically go down today [Monday] as the schools update the system but we can assure parents their children will definitely be in a school.”
Last year, Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi gave an update on the state of readiness for the start of school for this year.
He said his department received over 300,000 applications through its online application system.
Lesufi gave a detailed overview of his department’s readiness for the 2017 academic year and said everything was on track.
“Gauteng is making a steady and sustained progress in changing quality of education.”
Lesufi said while a number of pupils have not been placed, they were working hard to ensure that pupils are in the classroom come this year.
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)