Fishing company defends decision to take Fisheries Dept to court
The Viking Fishing Group says its court application was necessary to protect its employees’ jobs.
CAPE TOWN - A fishing company at the centre of a dispute with the Fisheries Department says its court application was necessary to protect its employees’ jobs.
Hake and sole fishing rights have been frozen after the Viking Fishing Group took the department to court over the reduction in its allocation.
At a briefing in Parliament earlier on Friday, Fisheries Minister Senzeni Zokwana spoke of a need to open the industry to small-scale fishermen.
In a statement, Viking Fishing Group claims the department’s current allocation would cause irreparable harm to the company.
It adds that the livelihood of its 179 employees would be placed at risk.
The company went further to say its that chances of creating more employment would be jeopardised.
But Zokwana told reporters in Parliament, the company feels entitled.
“There’s a sense that some companies deserve to be given equal or near equal what they received the previous year. Which would mean that the room for transformation is impossible.”
The department is currently consulting its lawyers about possibly challenging the high court's ruling.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)