Zokwana 'perturbed' by fishing quota ruling
Minister Senzeni Zokwana believes the Western Cape High Court ruling, temporarily halting hake inshore trawling undermines his authority.
CAPE TOWN - Fisheries Minister Senzeni Zokwana believes that the Western Cape High Court ruling temporarily halting hake inshore trawling, undermines his authority.
Zokwana briefed the media in Parliament earlier on Friday following the court’s decision to grant a review application of the fishing quota allocations.
The Viking Fishing Group argues that the department reduced its allocation despite it meeting its criteria.
Zokwana says he’s “perturbed” by what appears to be an unlawful order: “Of greatest concern to us is that the order, a subsequent set down date for a review of the application, denies my legal rights and obligation as the minister to decide any appeals that may be filed in terms of the provision of the Marine Living Resources Act.”
Viking's Tim Reddell says he had no other option but to approach the court: “The appeal process it going to take about six months and at that point, should we be successful and be given some of our fish back, so to say, there will not be that fish for us to catch.”
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)