'ANC didn't request extension of tavern trading hours'

The Gauteng Liquor Board says it simply received a request for information from MEC Lebogang Maile who had received requests from taverns.

Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG – The Gauteng Liquor Board says that no one from the African National Congress (ANC) asked them to lengthen the opening hours of taverns for the party's 8 January celebrations.

The board confirmed earlier on Wednesday that it was not going to lengthen the hours in which outlets would be able to sell alcohol after reports on Tuesday that it had decided to let people sell booze until much later in the day.

It says it simply received a request for information from Gauteng Economic Development MEC Lebogang Maile because he had received dozens of requests from taverns asking to be allowed to stay open for longer.

The board’s chair Fhedzisani Pandelani says it would have been almost impossible for any tavern to stay open for longer anyway.

“These strict conditions are such that they are inimical to anyone wanting to apply because you can hardly get around the provisions of the Act.”

(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)