FNB mum on compensation for safety boxes taken in heist
On Sunday a group of men held a security guard up at gunpoint before using a grinder to gain access to the Randburg branch.
JOHANNESBURG – First National Bank (FNB) has declined to comment further on whether its Randburg branch customers who had their safety deposit boxes stolen during a heist will be compensated.
On Sunday a group of men held a security guard up at gunpoint and took him hostage before using a grinder to gain access to the bank.
Neither the bank nor the Hawks have been able to quantify just how many boxes were taken or provide a value of the goods taking during the robbery.
FNB has declined to comment on how long the security guard was held in order for the suspects to complete their mission.
The bank also refuses to be drawn into what measures they take in order to protect security boxes, including whether the criminals had to gain access to a vault.
One FNB customer says she had her valuables in storage for over 20 years.
“I mean how do you get into the vault of a bank? That’s questionable.”
FNB has declined to comment on whether there has been a heist at the same branch before.
The bank has pledged to work with authorities as they investigate a case of business robbery.
MOVED SAFETY DEPOSIT BOXES
The bank says it notified its customers when it moved safety deposit boxes from other branches to the Randburg branch, despite customers saying they didn't know that their boxes had been relocated.
The bank’s customers are still in shock after finding out that their safety deposit boxes were stolen during a heist at the weekend.
Some bank users say they were not even informed when their valuables were moved from another branch to the one in Randburg.
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)