Voorsmaakie Parade won’t go ahead on Saturday

The Western Cape High Court dismissed an urgent application by the Minstrel Carnival to go ahead with the 'Voorsmaakie Parade'.

Voorsmaakie Parade supporters outside the Western Cape High Court. Picture: Monique Mortlock/EWN.

CAPE TOWN – The Western Cape High Court has dismissed an urgent court application by the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association (CTMCA) to go ahead with the Voorsmaakie Parade tomorrow.

The association says this will be the first time in almost 20 years that the annual event won't take place.

Members approached the court after the City of Cape Town denied a permit for the event due to non-compliance.

Dozens of supporters, mainly children, from areas like Athlone and Mitchells Plain have expressed their anger over the court's ruling.

They'd been waiting outside the court since early this morning.

Judge Anton Veldhuizen told the court the applicants should have approached the court sooner.

Veldhuizen has dismissed their request to set aside the municipality's refusal to grant them a permit to hold the parade tomorrow.

He added he wasn’t satisfied all the measures needed for the event to take place had been fulfilled.