Minstrels threaten legal action after event permit denied

The City of Cape Town denied the minstrels a permit for an event in the build up to the Tweede Nuwe Jaar celebrations.

FILE: A man takes part in the annual Tweede Nuwe Jaar Minstrel Carnival in Cape Town. Picture: EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association has threatened legal action, after the City of Cape Town denied it a permit for an event in the build up to Tweede Nuwe Jaar celebrations.

The annual Voorsmaakie event is supposed to take place on Saturday.

The City, however, on Wednesday announced it was turning down the permit application due to non-compliance on the part of the organiser.

In a statement, the City of Cape Town said that the organisers of the annual Voorsmaakie event had to date, failed to produce the required plans for safety and security, traffic, road closures, solid waste management, fencing and toilets.

The municipality added that payment was also still outstanding for services provided at last year's event.

But the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association's Kevin Momberg says they've submitted all relevant documentation.

“They lose a lot of documents, but we’ve got evidence where they acknowledge receiving our documents.”

Momberg says they will fight to see that the event takes place.

LISTEN: All systems go for Cape Town Minstrel Parade

(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)