Right2Know Campaign welcomes ruling on Motsoeneng

The Western Cape High Court found the SABC board had failed to uphold the Constitution and ignored the Public Protector's findings.

FILE: Hlaudi Motsoeneng. Picture: Kgothatso Mogale/EWN

CAPE TOWN – The Right2Know Campaign says it welcomes a court ruling that Hlaudi Motsoeneng's appointment as group executive of corporate affairs was unlawful.

On Monday, the Western Cape High Court found the South African Broadcasting Corporation board had failed to uphold the Constitution and ignored the Public Protector's findings.

Motsoeneng's lawyer has told Eyewitness News his client did not go into work today as he waits for a decision from the public broadcaster on whether it will appeal the ruling.

The Right2Know's Jayshree Pather says they welcome the ruling.

“It’s a point that that civil society organisations has made previously that his appointment is unlawful. I think over the last week we’ve heard explosive testimonies from the SABC inquiry about his reign of terror.”

The Democratic Alliance in October filed an application to have Motsoeneng removed from his position as the state broadcaster's group executive of corporate affairs.

Last month Motsoeneng’s lawyer said that no court would order the former COO be fired based on the instruction of a political party.

At the time, Motsoeneng smiled and nodded as his legal representative, advocate Stephan du Toit, highlighted why the DA's application was premature.

Du Toit said Motsoeneng's rights should be upheld and emphasised that the DA cannot dictate to the SABC who they should hire.

He conceded that Motsoeneng had apologised for wrongly completing his job application form.

The DA's legal team argued that the SABC had failed to comply with remedial action in the Public Protector's report.

Additional reporting by Kevin Brandt

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)