Masiphumelele residents start to rebuild after blaze

Residents have been hard at work rebuilding their homes following a fire that ripped through a portion of the community on Saturday morning.

Masiphumelele residents rebuild their homes after a shack fire in the area on Saturday 10 December 2016. Picture: Kevin Brandt/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - Some Masiphumelele residents have started rebuilding their homes following a blaze that tore through the area over the weekend.

At least 48 structures were destroyed, leaving over 100 people homeless.

The City of Cape Town has provided affected residents with kits consisting of corrugated iron sheets, planks and other material to rebuild their structures.

One resident says he has no clothes, while another says he has lost all his possessions following the fire.

According to residents, the blaze was started as a result of an unattended stove that was left on.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)