MEC: Limited number of schools can accommodate grade 1 & 8 in 2017
Panyaza Lesufi says 200,000 pupils have been placed so far while about 82,000 have not.
JOHANNESBURG – Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says the online registration system has indicated that there are a limited number of schools that can accommodate grade 1 and 8 pupils in the province for the 2017 academic year.
On Wednesday, Lesufi gave a detailed overview of the state of readiness for schools next year.
He says over 200,000 pupils have been placed so far while about 82,000 have not.
Lesufi says many parents have not yet confirmed their placement offers at various schools around the province, thus creating a backlog.
“And we have got almost 15,000 parents that have not accepted the space that we’ve provided.”
He says a number of areas have reached their capacity and will not be able to accept more pupils.
“These areas are full. Even if you can go perform some rituals wishing that your child will be admitted in the school, I can tell you it’s not going to assist.”
Lesufi has given a detailed overview of his department’s readiness for the 2017 academic year and says it’s on track.
“Gauteng is making steady and sustained progress in changing the quality of education.”
The MEC says his department is working around the clock to ensure that those pupils who have not yet been placed are in school come next year.
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)