SABC board's failure 'common knowledge', says former official

Former SABC official Ronnie Lusibi appeared before the parliamentary ad hoc committee established to investigate the SABC’s board.

FILE: A sign outside the offices of the South African Broadcasting Corporation in Johannesburg. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN.

CAPE TOWN – A former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) official has told a parliamentary inquiry that it is “common knowledge” that the board has failed in its duties.

On Thursday, Ronnie Lusibi appeared before the parliamentary ad hoc committee established to investigate the SABC’s board.

Lusibi had been asked by a Member of Parliament to describe the relationship between the board's chairperson and members when Hlaudi Motsoeneng was still chief operating officer.

“I think it has more to do with governance issues [like] governance falling apart, the disintegration of the board and the type of leadership they have.”

The SABC delegation, including Group CEO James Aguma and executive Hlaudi Motsoeneng, staged a walkout on Wednesday, while the only remaining board member, chairperson Mbulaheni Maguvhe, filed for leave to appeal a high court ruling which dismissed his previous application to halt the investigation.

Parliament's ad hoc committee will sit for 11 days as it looks into the board's affairs and Maguvhe’s fitness to hold office.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)