It’s unclear whether 141 witnesses will testify in van Breda trial

Henri van Breda's pre-trial hearing was postponed in the Western Cape High Court on Friday.

Triple murder accused Henri van Breda leaves the Stellenbosch Magistrate's Court on 14 June 2016 after being released on R100,000 bail. Picture: Aletta Harrison/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - A Cape Town advocate says it's difficult to confirm whether all 141 witnesses will be called to testify in the murder trial against Henri van Breda.

Van Breda's pre-trial hearing was postponed in the Western Cape High Court on Friday.

Van Breda is facing three murder charges, one for attempted murder and defeating the ends of justice for last year's De Zalze axe attack.

He allegedly killed the three members of his family, severely wounded his sister and then reportedly tampered with the crime scene.

Advocate William Booth says the State often has lengthy witness lists.

“The State can oppose bail if the person is arrested again and it alleges that the accused is committing crime regularly, in other words has a propensity to commit crime.”

Van Breda and his girlfriend, Danielle Janse van Rensburg, is also expected to appear in court on a drug possession charge on 11 April in a separate matter.

The National Prosecuting Authority has told Eyewitness News the drug charges will have no bearing on the murder case.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)