Cope to join action against SABC over Motsoeneng's appointment
Yesterday, the DA announced it will march to the SABC's offices against Motsoeneng’s appointment.
JOHANNESBURG - The Congress of the People (Cope) says it will be part of the action against what it calls the "fraudulent appointment" of Hlaudi Motsoeneng at the South African Broadcasting Corporation's (SABC) headquarters in Auckland Park tomorrow.
On Tuesday, the public broadcaster announced Motsoeneng had been appointed as group executive for corporate affairs.
This after the Supreme Court of Appeal upheld a ruling in which Motsoeneng's permanent appointment as COO was unlawful.
Yesterday, the Democratic Alliance also announced it will march to the SABC offices against Motsoeneng's appointment.
Cope's Dennis Bloem says, "We can never allow this man and the board to turn this country into a banana republic. Cope president Mosiuoa Lekota will lead senior members of the party with other people in the march."
The DA says Motsoeneng should not be employed under any capacity at the public broadcaster.
The party is also consulting its legal team on whether Motsoeneng's redeployment to the SABC is constitutional.
DA spokesperson Mabine Seabe says they'll put pressure on the SABC "to ensure they act in a lawful manner".