SAHRC clears King Zwelithini of hate speech
It was alleged that the king's remarks resulted in the violent attacks against foreigners in KZN.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African Human Rights Commission has found that King Goodwill Zwelithini's comments on migrants were not hate speech.
The commission says that while the King's comments were hurtful and harmful, there was no causal link between them and the xenophobia attacks, which left seven people dead.
The commission is releasing its findings of its investigation into the Zulu king's comments.
Delivering the report, Advocate Lawrance Mushwana said: "Distrust of the responder's defence was that the utterances on the day in question were misconstrued and taken out of context by the media and that therefore he is not guilty of hate speech as it was alleged at the time."
The deadly xenophobic violence were largely been blamed on comments made by Zwelithini in which he said foreigners must pack their bags and leave the country.
The commission was asked to look into comments he made during last year's xenophobic attacks.
King Zwelithini had always insisted that his remarks were taken out of context and misinterpreted.
The Human Rights Commission is releasing findings of its investigation into Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini. CM pic.twitter.com/R9gglSTDIp— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 30, 2016
Commission says in the #Zwelithini identified presence of migrants as one of social ills that he believes needs to be dealt with. CM— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 30, 2016
Commission says though #Zwelithini was critical of immigrants, he was also critical of other persons within SA. CM— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 30, 2016
#Zwelithini commission says King's utterances did not constitute a call for locals to take up arms or commit violence against migrants. CM— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 30, 2016
#ZuluKing Commission says it consulted an expert, and got hold of copy of the King's speech. CM— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 30, 2016