Parly committee to meet SABC over Motsoeneng
The SABC announced that Motsoeneng has been re-appointed as its Group Executive for Corporate Affairs.
JOHANNESBURG - Chairperson of the portfolio committee on communications Humphrey Maxegwana says the committee will meet with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board next week to discuss Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
Yesterday, the SABC announced the former chief operating officer (COO) had been re-appointed to the position of group executive for corporate affairs, after a court ruled that his appointment as COO was illegal.
However, Motsoeneg indicated yesterday he will re-apply for his old job.
On Monday, the African National Congress (ANC) called on the committee to summon the SABC to comprehensively account on the state of the corporation.
Maxegwana says the committee will meet with the SABC next week to discuss the Supreme Court of Appeals' judgment.
Meanwhile, opposition parties have slammed Motsoeneng's latest appointment, describing it as "arrogant" and "regrettable".
The Freedom Front Plus says it will continue to ask Motsoeneng to account for any losses the SABC has suffered under his leadership.
The Congress of the People says it supports Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's promise to challenge the appointment.
SABC board chairperson Professor Mbulaheni Maghuve says they're not going against a court judgment.
"The one I possess says nothing about reappointing him so we are not defeating the spirit or letter of law."
The Democratic Alliance, ANC , Public Protector and the Presidency, have all said the SABC board and Communications Minister Faith Muthambi must respect the law in this particular case.
Motsoeneng was facing the media for the first time since reports that he'd received over R10 million in a huge bonus payment.
But he wasn't giving any answers.
He said: "I am not going there. Don't spoil the party man, now you are talking about employer-employee issues. Pause there. I am not going there."