Govt working to find solution to fees crisis - minister

A number of campuses across the country have been shut down as student protests continue.

FILE: UCT #Fees2017 protesters occupy Upper Campus of the University of Cape Town. Picture: Anthony Molyneaux/EWN

CAPE TOWN - Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi says solutions to address higher education tuition funding issues should be practical and financially workable.

Nxesi addressed delegates last night at the Accelerating Inclusive Youth Employment Conference in Cape Town.

A number of campuses across the country have been shut down as student protests continue.

The minister adds that government is working towards finding a solution to the problem.

"This must be put through a particular process that must come out with practical solutions, not just solutions that may not be sustainable."

Campus unrest

Meanwhile, management at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) says that academic activities at the institution will continue despite ongoing protests for free education.

Yesterday some of the demonstrators moved off the Auckland Park campus and onto Kingsway Avenue where they blocked off traffic outside Campus Square shopping mall.

Students at the university have vowed to continue demonstrations despite managements warning that their protests are not permitted.

At the University of Cape Town, vice-chancellor Dr Max Price warns that if student protests persist, the rest of the academic year will be at serious risk.

Lectures at the university remain suspended for a second week following protests last week.

Price says there will be consequences if the university remains shut.

"If we continue beyond the end of next week, we probably can't complete the academic year and that has rather disastrous consequences for the students themselves, as well as for the university."

The vice-chancellor says they're hopeful the number of demonstrators will be down by next week.

At the University of Witwatersrand, an investigation is underway into the death of a cleaner who inhaled fumes from an extinguisher which was set off during the protests on campus last week.

The worker was treated on the campus before being rushed to hospital but died shortly after being discharged.