Eskom reassures consumers amid wage dispute
The utility says it doesn’t expect disruptions after workers downed tools at three power stations yesterday.
JOHANNESBURG - Eskom says it has contingency plans in place to avoid load shedding during the ongoing wage dispute with its workers.
The power utility says it does not expect any disruptions to its operations despite reports of a looming strike by the National Union of Mineworkers
Eskom has warned that none of its employees are legally permitted to go on strike, therefore any such action would be illegal.
Dozens of employees downed tools at three Eskom power stations yesterday with more workers affiliated to the NUM threatening the same action.
Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe says, "The workers are demanding a wage increase of between 12 and 13%. Currently, we are offering between seven and nine percent. The matter has been referred to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration. We met last week on Monday, we are now waiting on the second round of negotiations."