ANC confident it will retain key battleground of Tshwane

Several polls have indicated the ANC could drop below the 50% mark in Tshwane.

FILE: President Jacob Zuma is campaigning in Tshwane with mayoral candidate Thoko Didiza and ANC regional leaders. Picture: Clement Manyathela/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress (ANC) says it will retain the key battleground of Tshwane on Wednesday because its structures are now intact after the violent protests last month and that voters in the capital know it's brought them services.

But the Democratic Alliance (DA) says the ANC has wasted money and isn't able to run a proper administration.

Several polls have indicated the ANC could drop below the 50 percent mark in the city.



The Tshwane ANC's Jabu Mabone says voters there know the ANC has improved their lives.

"We've done a lot of work in the city. When we talk about free Wi-Fi, we're recognised globally. When we talk about the building of houses, in the programme called 'Re aga Tshwane', we've given people stands."



But the DA's Tshwane mayoral candidate Solly Msimanga says the party is clearly worried.

"Somebody who's confident wouldn't go out and spend a billion rand campaigning, they wouldn't need police officers and Metro police to stand between them and the people who they're asking to vote for them."

The ANC also claims its structures in Tshwane are stable after protests sparked by the nomination of Thoko Didiza as its mayoral candidate.