Makhura thankful no lives lost in Tembisa tornado disaster
The tornado struck the area on Tuesday afternoon, injuring 20 people.
TEMBISA - Gauteng Premier David Makhura says that although this week's tornado in Tembisa destroyed homes and businesses, he is thankful that no lives were lost.
The tornado hit the area on Tuesday afternoon, injuring 20 people.
Ekurhuleni Mayor Mondli Gungubele and Makhura spent the day in the area yesterday speaking to residents and assessing the extent of the damage.
- EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) July 27, 2016
The Gauteng premier says he is grateful no one died.
"It's unbelievable how people survived, it is incredible and we can only say: God is great."
One woman says luckily she had sent her children home over the weekend, so they missed the tornado.
"My children were not here, luckily last week I sent them back home to my parents. I can't imagine what it would have been like if my children were around."
Government has sent psychologists to the area to help counsel those who've lost their homes.