'Munich gunman planned attacks for one year'

The 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman began planning the attack one year ago, an official said.

Police walks near a shopping mall amid a shooting on 22 July 2016 in Munich. Several people were killed on Friday in a shooting rampage by a lone gunman in a Munich shopping centre, media reports said. Picture: AFP

BERLIN - The 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who killed nine people in Munich on Friday began planning the attack one year ago after visiting the site of a 2009 school shooting in southwest Germany that killed 15 people, a Bavarian state official said on Sunday.

Robert Heimberger, president of the Bavarian state crime office, said material found at his home showed the gunman was an avid player of violent video crimes who purchased his weapon - a reactivated Glock 17 pistol - on the so-called dark net, an area of the Internet accessible only via special software.

Heimberger said the parents of the gunman remained in shock and were not able to be interviewed. An official of the state prosecutor's office said the shooting victims did not include any classmates of the gunman.

GUN LAWS

Senior German officials have called for a review of Germany's already strict gun laws after Friday's deadly shooting.

"Gun control is an important issue. We must continue to do all we can to limit and strictly control access to deadly weapons," German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel, leader of the center-left Social Democrats, told Funke Mediengruppe, which owns a series of German newspapers.

Gabriel said German authorities were investigating how the German-Iranian dual national had gained illegal access to the weapon. "Clearly we will have to have a discussion in the near future about whether the current gun control laws are sufficient," said German lawmaker Stephan Mayer, a spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel's ruling conservatives in parliament.

"The biggest priority is to combat the illegal arms trade since that could also reduce crime and terrorism," he said in a statement on Sunday.

The gunman, named by German media as Ali David Sonboly, opened fire near a busy shopping mall.

The Munich shooting was the third act of violence against civilians in Western Europe, and the second in southern Germany, in eight days. Officials said there were no signs of any links in this case to Islamist extremist groups.

German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, also a member of Merkel's Democrats, told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper in a separate interview that he planned to review German gun laws after the attack, and seek improvements where needed.

De Maiziere said German gun laws were already very strict, which he considered appropriate, and it was critical to understand how the shooter gained access to the pistol used.

"Then we have to evaluate very carefully if and where further legal changes are needed," he said in an interview published on Sunday.

Mayer and De Maiziere also cited the current debate within the European Union about a package of reforms that would tighten gun controls within the bloc and make it easier to trace the origin of guns purchased legally.

The proposed changes, which must still be enacted by EU member states, would also set more stringent rules for deactivating previously fully-functioning guns and making them available for sale as so-called decorations.

Member states have different criteria for what does and does not constitute a deactivated weapon, a legal loophole exploited by criminals to import weapons that have only been superficially modified to appear non-functioning.

The Glock 17 used by the Munich gunman, which police said had its serial number filed away, was such a "reactivated" weapon from the Slovakia, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper reported on Sunday, citing law enforcement sources.

Sonboly obtained the gun on the Internet, it said.