Axed SABC journalists: Labour Court judgment expected next week

Lawyers representing four of the axed SABC journalists argued that their dismissal is unconstitutional.

The Labour Court will has heard the case by four former SABC employees who want their dismissal reversed. Picture: Dineo Bendile/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - Labour Court Judge Robert Lagrange says he will endeavour to hand down judgment in the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) dismissal case on Monday.

Today, lawyers representing four of the axed SABC journalists argued that their dismissal for speaking out against censorship is unconstitutional and they should be reinstated.

Earlier this week, the public broadcaster agreed to enforce the Independent Communications Authority of South African's recommendation, which called for the reversal of its ban on violent protest footage.

Steven Budlender, who is representing the journalists, says his clients were bullied and intimidated by management because they criticised the controversial editorial policy, which they have a right to do.

He argued that disciplinary processes were not completed and therefore their dismissals are illegal and unconstitutional.

The SABC's lawyer, Themba Skosana, however says the journalists could have made representations once they were served with notices to avoid a legal battle in court.

He's also argued that they should have approached the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration and not the Labour Court.

Judgment will be handed down on Monday, or Tuesday, depending on the judge's schedule.