ANC: Marius Fransman is not officially reinstated
Fransman was among several WC ANC leaders campaigning in Cape Town on Thursday.
CAPE TOWN - The African National Congress's (ANC) national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa says the party's embattled Western Cape leader Marius Fransman has not been officially reinstated.
Fransman was asked to step down earlier this year in the wake of sexual assault allegations levelled against him.
The party launched an investigation into claims he sexually assaulted his former assistant Louisa Wynand.
Head of ANC campaigns, Nomvula Mokonyane, has been quoted as confirming that Fransman was told he could resume his duties.
Mokonyane said: "He is back in the ANC as the [provincial] chair. The issues have been resolved."
But Kodwa says this is not the case.
"In the last meeting of NWC we had an opportunity to be briefed about that report which was part of the statement that was presented by the secretary general. He's not back and the matter is still before the national disciplinary committee."
Yesterday, Fransman said he was concentrating on the campaign.
"We must all works hard to make sure that the ANC is victorious everywhere in the Western Cape, especially to the people on the ground we are saying lets unify, consolidate and make sure that the ANC live."