Four terrorism suspects arrested in SA charged separately

Twin brothers appeared in the JHB Magistrate Court while two other suspects appeared in a Kagiso court.

Picture: Saps.

JOHANNESBURG - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has now confirmed the four suspects arrested during house raids over the weekend are not facing the same charges, as their cases are different.

Twin brothers Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie have been charged with three counts, related to terrorism and appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court this morning.

They have been accused of planning to detonate explosions at a United States (US) Mission as well as Jewish Institutions.

The 23-year-old twins appeared briefing in court today and were charged with conspiracy and incitement to commit the crime of terrorism, as well as conspiring and attempting to commit acts associated with terrorist activities.

The NPA's Phindi Louw says they had planned attacks in Johannesburg between 2015 and this year.

"The State alleges that they planned to cause an explosion at the missions of the United States of America, and that of the Jewish."

Louw says the other two people arrested by the Hawks are not linked to this case.

"At this stage, the two cases are not related. They are charged separately in the Kagiso Magistrate Court."

The twins will remain behind bars until next week, while the state prepares its case.

The pair have been under surveillance for over a year and their arrest comes after two alerts by the US Embassy of a possible terror attack in South Africa.

Meanwhile, the two other suspects arrested by the Hawks over the weekend were found in possession of ammunition.

They appeared in the Kagiso Magistrates Court, where their case has been postponed for bail.

The siblings, identified as Fatima and Ibrahim Mohammed Patel, will remain in custody for another week after the court approved an application by the State to postpone their bail.

Magistrate Salome Le roux says this is meant to give the State time to gather more information.

A stun grenade and 20 rounds of live ammunition were confiscated from the pair while searching their home in Azaadville on Saturday.

The two are facing individual charges for possession of ammunition and will appear in an official bail hearing scheduled for later this month.

LISTEN: Men arrested trying to fly to Syria gunning for US, Jewish targets