Govt urged to step in after latest Mall of Africa killings

On Sunday, two drivers were gunned down outside the centre by a group of attackers.

Mall of Africa in Midrand. Picture: Supplied.

JOHANNESBURG - The South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) has called on government to take a stance on the route dispute near the Mall of Africa following the killing of two drivers.

On Sunday, two men were gunned down outside the centre by a group of attackers who pretended to be asking for directions.

At least five people have been killed since the mall opened in April.

Santaco's Ralph Jones said that was difficult to determine which association is responsible for the latest killings.

"The government needs to come to the party here. They need to take a stance because the Mall of Africa should be safe. If the mall was built on no man's land, then they need to declare that area."

Two taxi groups have been at loggerheads over who runs the route, with allegations of corruption by officials who apparently also own taxis in the area.

The premier's office said that it was aware of the claims after hosting a taxi indaba last week.

Spokesperson Pumla Sekhonyane said: "It was agreed that we would have a summit of the taxi industry were we would discuss these matters in a very structured way to find solutions."

Four senior religious leaders have been appointed to broker an agreement between taxi associations to help quell the violence.