Plastic View: Father urges govt intervention
Peter Sebola was shocked after seeing the informal settlement his son left home to live in.
PRETORIA - A father, whose son died in a shack fire at the Plastic View informal settlement east of Pretoria, has pleaded with government to intervene and remove people from the hazardous situation.
Peter Sebola's 28-year-old son, Nathaniel, was one of five people killed in Saturday night's blaze that destroyed 300 shacks.
Sebola has expressed his shock after seeing the informal settlement his son left home to live in.
He says he is shocked and saddened by the conditions in which his son had been living in alongside thousands of others.
"People can't in these conditions, I don't know how they live and where do they get the water here."
He says while he is saddened by his son's death, he is upset that the 28-year-old chose to leave home years ago to live in a shack instead of going to university.
"Look what happened now, it's too late."
The Sebola family is one of five families who will receive assistance from government to bury their loved ones.
Meanwhile, Gauteng Premier David Makhura said the emotional and physical well-being of those affected by a shack fire at the Plastic View informal settlement is government's main priority.
Makhura has visited the informal settlement yesterday to offer support.
He assured residents, who are predominantly foreign nationals, that the government is intervening to assist and will ensure no one is deported.
The premier said government will do all it can to help affected residents in the Plastic View informal settlement regardless of their nationality.
"People have lost literally everything because of this fire. We don't want to make documents an issue, we are dealing with human disaster and we want to settle people and save lives."