Media accused of fabricating news about Nkandla architect
The architect's lawyer says the Nkandla matter is closed and the media must move on.
JOHANNESBURG - The lawyer for President Jacob Zuma's architect has accused the media of trying to fabricate news about his client Minenhle Makhanya, saying the matter has been closed.
Yesterday, the Sunday Times reported that the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) is almost ready to go to court to recover R155 million from Makhanya, who was overseeing the security upgrades to Zuma's Nkandla home.
WATCH: Inside Nkanda
His lawyer, Barnabas Xulu, says the media must "move on". "Minenhle Makhanya has got no role to play whatsoever but now everyone is calling me to ask about it. I think you guys are devising this Nkandla thing and you're trying to use my client which is really unfair."
Last month, Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane wrote to Hawks boss Berning Ntlemeza. Maimane wants to know why Makhanya has not been criminally charged.
He quoted the SIU report which said Makhanya "designed and produced more than had been requested and authorised and certified over-payments".
A swimming pool, cattle kraal, visitors centre, amphitheatre and chicken run were built for Zuma in the name of security as part of a R246 million project.
There is no decision from the National Prosecuting Authority on whether Zuma will be charged after the DA opened a corruption case against him in March 2014, for "his complicity in the alleged misappropriation of public funds". Additional reporting by Rahima Essop.
Additional reporting by Rahima Essop.