6 die, 1 survives Wallacedene shack fire
Six people, including four children, died in the blaze believed to have been sparked by a heating device.
CAPE TOWN - The sole survivor of a devastating shack fire in Wallacedene in Kraaifontein remains in hospital.
The 51-year-old woman was admitted to Tygerberg Hospital last night.
Six others, including four children, died in the blaze believed to have been sparked by a heating device.
The provincial health department's Darren Francis says, "I can confirm that a 51-year-old female was admitted to Tygerberg Hospital with severe burns. She is currently in a critical but stable condition."
Relatives of the victims say they are still reeling from the tragedy.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
The charred remains of the single-roomed house and mounds of corrugated iron covered in soot are all that remain of last night's fatal fire.
It's eerily quiet along Motlanthe Street as neighbours struggle to process what happened.
The children's uncle, Sydney Kwelesa, says they still don't know what happened.