Henri van Breda could face mandatory life sentence, if found guilty

The triple murder accused has been charged with the deaths of his mother, father & brother.

Triple murder accused Henri van Breda leaves the Stellenbosch Magistrate's Court on 14 June 2016 after being released on R100,000 bail. Picture: Aletta Harrison/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The State says triple murder accused Henri van Breda could face a mandatory life sentence if found guilty of the premeditated murder of his parents and older brother.

Multi-millionaire businessman Martin van Breda, his wife Teresa and their son Rudi were axed to death in their De Zalze home in Stellenbosch in January last year.

Marli van Breda, 17, was severely wounded, but survived.

LISTEN: _Henri van Breda's call to emergency services. _

The 21-year-old accused handed himself over to police on Monday, and was granted a R100,000 bail in the Stellenbosch Magistrates Court yesterday.

The State's indictment alleges Henri committed the murders intentionally and that they were premeditated.

Along with three murder charges and one attempted murder charge, the State claims van Breda tried to mislead police by tampering with the crime scene.

The document confirms all the victims died as a result of head wounds and that an axe was most likely the murder weapon.

A kitchen knife was also recovered from the crime scene and the State believes van Breda used it to inflict wounds on himself in order to mislead police.

WATCH: _Henri van Breda arrives at court. _

Van Breda is being legally represented by Pieter Botha, who assisted in successfully defending murder accused Shrien Dewani.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it took time to build a watertight case before van Breda was arrested.

The State believes DNA evidence will prove van Breda murdered his parents and older brother.

The charge sheet states there was no forced entry into the De Zalze house and nothing had been stolen.

Van Breda's pre-trial hearing gets underway in the Western Cape High Court in September.