Hope Zinde's son is formally charged with her murder

Her son made his first court appearance today after his mother’s body was discovered at the weekend.

Mark Zinde at the Brits Magistrates Court on 13 June 2016. Picture: Kgothatso Mogale/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board member Hope Zinde's son has been formally charged with her murder.

Mark Zinde, 28, made a brief appearance in the Brits Magistrates Court today.

His mother's body was found in the boot of her car at the Pecanwood Estate in Hartbeespoort Dam at the weekend.

Wearing a navy blue jacket and jeans, a dazed Mark made a brief appearance in the dock.

Mark appeared confused and did not make any eye contact with those in the gallery as he stood before magistrate Moses Maswanganyi.

None of Zinde's family members were present in court.

The 28-year-old has also been charged with being in possession of drugs and he is expected back in the dock on Friday.

WATCH: Mark Zinde charged with murder of his mother Hope Zinde

The case has been moved to the Brits Regional Court while investigations continue.

He's also expected to undergo psychiatric evaluation.

North West police say they hope a post-mortem report will reveal more details surrounding her death.

It's alleged Hope was murdered last week Monday, but her body was only discovered this past weekend.

SANEF REMEMBERS HOPE ZINDE

Meanwhile, the South African National Editors Forum (Sanef) has described Zinde as a campaigner for media freedom and a fearless advocate.

Sanef says it's shocked following the death of well-known broadcaster.

"South African journalism has lost a committed journalist, a campaigner for media freedom and a fearless advocate of sound corporate governance at the SABC," it said in a statement.

Zinde stared her broadcasting career at the SABC in the 1990's.