Jonas ‘made public & written statements’ about alleged state capture
The deputy finance minister says no one can accuse him of withholding any information about the Gupta family.
JOHANNESBURG - Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas says he made public and written statements about state capture and the Gupta family's alleged involvement and no one can accuse him of withholding any information.
Last week, former government spokesperson Themba Maseko confirmed that he had made the only submission to the probe.
Earlier this year, Jonas said in a formal statement that the Gupta family had offered him the job of Finance Minister before Nhlanhla Nene was removed from the post by President Jacob Zuma.
Speaking on eNCA's Justice Factor last night, Jonas said he has made his views on the matter public and does not need to submit another written statement.
"I made my position public, and it was a written statement. So to say that I didn't make my view public is really not correct. I made my views public on the matter and I've written articles on the subject."
In a statement he's just released, he also says he rejected the offer out of hand.
The Gupta family has previously denied claims that they had made the offer to Jonas.
WATCH: Jonas: The Guptas offered me SA finance minister job.
Jonas was adamant the Gupta family had offered him a top government post.
"Members of the Gupta family offered me the position of the finance minister to replace the then minister Nene. I rejected this out of hand."
But now, there's no explanation as to why he did not take part in the ANC's investigation into these claims.
MANTASHE IGNORED WARNINGS
African National Congress (ANC) Secretary General Gwede Mantashe has reportedly ignored advice from top spy bosses to request an intelligence report on the Gupta family's influence on the state from the inspector general of intelligence.
Senior government officials apparently told the Sunday Times that they had met Mantashe and advised him to approach the inspector general to get hold of a report compiled in 2010.
The report is said to detail how the Guptas influenced the appointment of ministers and the awarding of government tenders.
Last month, Mantashe said his investigation into alleged state capture by the Gupta family had proved to be fruitless, as only one of the eight people who appeared before him sent a written submission.
The Sunday Times reported those who approached Mantashe include deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas, former ANC MP Vytie Mentor, former South African Revenue Services boss Ivan Pillay, suspended Independent Police Investigative Directorate head Robert McBride and former Hawks boss Anwa Dramat, but that only former government communication's chief Themba Maseko made a formal submission.
The paper claims Jonas, Pillay, Dramat and McBride were advised not to make submissions as there was no guarantee they could be legally protected.
McBride has however apparently denied that his meeting with Mantashe was about the Guptas.
Former spy bosses are now apparently accusing the secretary general of ignoring their advice, which they think could have assisted his investigation.
The paper also said Mantashe hoped his probe would be given more time but President Jacob Zuma's backers within the ANC National Executive Committee pushed for the matter to be closed.