Terror warning: 'There's no need to panic,' says minister

David Mahlobo says government has noted the terror alert & has assured SA there's no need to panic.

FILE: Minister of State Security David Mahlobo. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - State Security Minister David Mahlobo says government has noted the terror alert by the US Embassy and has assured the country that there's no need to panic.

On Saturday, the United States Diplomatic Mission published a statement on its website, warning Americans in South Africa about possible attacks.

Last month, a new message purporting to come from the spokesman of Islamic State, called on followers to launch attacks on the West during the Islamic holy month of Ramadaan.

Some malls in Johannesburg and Cape Town have said they are now increasing their security.

In a statement released this morning, Mahlobo said security services of the country have liaised with the Americans on the concerns raised this weekend, and these engagements will continue.

LISTEN: Counter-terrorism expert weighs in on SA terror warning

Mahlobo says South Africa remains a strong and stable democratic country and there is no immediate danger posed by the alert.

The minister says security services will continue to work on matters of violent extremism and terrorism, to ensure the safety of all citizens and residents.

The State Security Department's Brian Dube says while they have taken the threat seriously, they also need to investigate the threat level.

"It is important that we look into the matter with our own analysis as we receive information from time to time, so when the information comes it is analysed, and we can determine the extent of the threat and how to respond to it."