Britain also warns of possible terror attacks in South Africa

Britain is warning shopping areas in JHB and Cape Town could be targeted.

FILE: Sandton. Picture: Gary Oberholzer/Talk Radio 702.

JOHANNESBURG - It has emerged Britain has also warned of possible attacks in South Africa.

Reuters is quoting a government statement saying there is a high threat of terrorism and attacks could be indiscriminate.

Britain is warning shopping areas in Johannesburg and Cape Town that are visited by foreigners could be targeted.

The country has also warned its nationals saying, "There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attacks globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria."

US ambassador to South Africa Patrick Gaspard says his country is working closely with South Africa to uncover possible security threats.

Gaspard say his country's working closely with South African security authorities to uncover possible security threats.

He says he's happy with the level of cooperation he's received from South Africa since issuing a travel advisory warning of a real threat of terrorist attacks on shopping malls and US installations during the month Ramadan starting tomorrow.

Gaspard says it's unfortunate that we live in a time when violent extremist organisations take advantage of public goodwill.

Gaspard says his embassy issued a security warning based on verifiable information.

The ambassador says he's confident that working together the security forces will guarantee the safety of both South Africans and Americans.

LISTEN: Counter-terrorism expert weighs in on SA terror warning

' DON'T PANIC'

Earlier today, State Security Minister David Mahlobo said government noted the terror alert by the US Embassy and assured the country that there was no need to panic.

On Saturday, the United States Diplomatic Mission published a statement on its website, warning Americans in South Africa about possible attacks.

Last month, a new message purporting to come from the spokesman of Islamic State, called on followers to launch attacks on the West during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Some malls in Johannesburg and Cape Town have said they are now increasing their security.

In a statement released this morning, Mahlobo said security services of the country have liaised with the Americans on the concerns raised this weekend, and these engagements would continue.

Mahlobo said South Africa remained a strong and stable democratic country and there was no immediate danger posed by the alert.

The minister said security services would continue to work on matters of violent extremism and terrorism, to ensure the safety of all citizens and residents.

The State Security Department's Brian Dube said while they have taken the threat seriously, they also need to investigate the threat level.

"It is important that we look into the matter with our own analysis as we receive information from time to time, so when the information comes it is analysed, and we can determine the extent of the threat and how to respond to it."