Election lists: Over 9,000 candidate names submitted by ANC
The ruling party yesterday submitted close to 10,000 names amid protests outside Luthuli House, in CT & PE.
JOHANNESBURG - African National Congress (ANC) Secretary-General Gwede Mantashe says close to 10,000 names have been submitted to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) as candidates for this year's local government elections.
Yesterday, Mantashe addressed the media at Luthuli House, about who will be contesting the polls, just hours before the Electoral Commission closed entries at 5pm.
Outside the headquarters, ANC members demonstrated against the selection process, claiming some of the lists had been tampered with.
Mayoral candidates will only be selected within the next two weeks, once the party knows who the registered councillors are.
Mantashe maintains lists are only amended for the purposes of proportional representation.
"Over 9,000 candidates have been submitted."
Mantashe says the ANC has not downplayed the number of political killings in the past few weeks.
"One incident of violence is one too many, but it can't be described as characterising the selection of candidates in this process."
He says the provincial executive committee can only change 15 percent of the candidate lists; where there is a lack of proportional representation or a need for political intervention.
PROVINCIAL MANIFESTO LAUNCH
ANC Gauteng Deputy Chairperson David Makhura says he's not worried about how President Jacob Zuma will be received at the provincial manifesto launch on Saturday.
Zuma is expected to give the key-note address at the FNB stadium.
Following the ruling of the Constitutional Court on Nkandla that Zuma failed to uphold, protect and defend the Constitution, some branches in Gauteng have called on him to step down.
Makhura says he doesn't believe the president will be booed.
"We don't have any concerns and we are certain that ANC members will always treat the leaders of the ANC with respect."
ANC WC STILL WAITING FOR ELECTION CANDIDATE LISTS
Meanwhile, the ANC in the Western Cape says it's still awaiting a report from its national office regarding election candidate lists amid protests over the selection process.
Disgruntled ANC members yesterday occupied the party's provincial offices, bemoaning what they say is an undemocratic process for selecting potential ward councillors.
There've been similar protests in Port Elizabeth and Kimberley.
The ANC's Jabu Mfusi says, "We then have to go to the national lists conference. In the national list conference we are still awaiting a list from the PLC."