'ANC’s cancelled probe into alleged state capture a farce'
The SACP's Solly Mapaila says this was an investigation with an agenda.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African Communist Party (SACP) says the African National Congress (ANC)'s cancelled investigation into claims the Gupta family has captured the state was a farce and a whitewash.
Yesterday, former government spokesperson Themba Maseko confirmed that he was the person who made a formal submission to the investigation.
This raises questions about why Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas didn't make a submission after he said the Gupta family offered him the position of finance minister before Nhlanhla Nene was fired last year.
WATCH: Jonas: The Guptas offered me SA finance minister job.
On Tuesday, ANC Secretary-General Gwede Mantashe said they were cancelling their probe into alleged state capture, because only one person had come forward.
WATCH: Mantashe: State capture discussion will continue within the ANC.
SACP second deputy general secretary Solly Mapaila says this was an investigation with an agenda.
"It was a farce from the process. We know it was a mechanical process to shut up comrades from speaking out over the Guptas' control of our movement."
He says the ANC should asked Jonas to testify.
"If Mcebisi has not made a formal submission, it would not be the correct process. And they should not wait for him to come to them, they must go to him and say, 'come and make your presentation'. But they must also give him some assurances."
The Finance Department says Jonas has no comment on this issue.
At the same time, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) says the ruling party's decision to end the probe must be respected.
Cosatu President S'dumo Dlamini says the ANC has gone through a process and that this is the end of it.
"We should support the decision of the ANC, which has concluded the matter, but continue to say we must always be vigilant of any form of capturing of the state."
He says the state has been captured before by a monopoly capital.
The Cosatu head says it's not the fault of the ANC that more people didn't come forward with evidence in this process.
"You cannot therefore force people to make those submissions when they don't feel they have to make them in the form you are asking."