No arrests yet after boy (12) raped in Atlantis
The child had apparently been lured to bushes where he was raped by a man he doesn't know.
CAPE TOWN - There have been no arrests in connection with the rape of a 12-year old boy in Atlantis.
Eyewitness News has spoken to a resident who helped the boy get to a police station following the incident on Saturday.
Atlantis resident Jodi Thompson says when she and her father came across the crying child on Saturday afternoon, he was in shock.
Thompson says the boy had been beaten and was covered in sand.
She says they immediately took the traumatised child to the police station.
The child had apparently been lured to bushes where he was raped by a man he does not know.
Thompson says the field where the incident happened is a known hot spot for crime.
Meanwhile, prosecutors are hopeful the conviction and sentencing of two child sex offenders in Atlantis will encourage more victims to come forward.
On Thursday, the court sentenced Nigel Goedeman to 20 years, for raping a nine-year-old girl.
In the same court, Lee-Mervyn Philadelphia was handed a 15-year sentence, with five years suspended, for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old boy.