Shack fire leaves one man dead in Gugulethu

Rescue services say the man sustained fatal burns after an unattended cooking devices caused the fire.

Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN

CAPE TOWN - An unattended cooking device is believed to have started a fire that killed a man in Gugulethu.

A fire gutted the man's informal structure over the weekend.

The City of Cape Town's Fire and Rescue Service member, Theo Lane, says, "The cause of the fire is a cooking device that was left unattended. There was one adult male that sustained fatal burns and there were no other occupants in the structure at the time of the fire."

He says, "The incident was handed over to the South African Police Service for further investigation."