Amina Ali Nkeki: 6 of the 219 Chibok schoolgirls are dead

Nkeki is one of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted in 2014 by Nigerian terror group Boko Haram.

This handout picture taken in Damboa and released by the Nigerian army on 18 May, 2016 shows Amina Ali posing with her 4-month old baby Safiya, one of 219 girls abducted from their school in Chibok more than two years ago, after she was released by Nigeria's army. Picture: AFP.

ABUJA - Six of the 219 Chibok schoolgirls abducted in 2014 by Boko Haram are dead.

This information was revealed from one of the abducted girls who was rescued on Tuesday after spending two years in the hands of her abductors.

Nineteen-year-old Amina Ali Nkeki, now a breastfeeding mother of a four-month-old baby, was rescued in Kulakaisa village at the fringes of Sambisa forest, by a Chibok vigilante group, popularly known as the Civilian Joint Task Force.

Hosea Abana, chairman of the Chibok community in Abuja, told Eyewitness News that Nkeki was taken to Chibok, where she was identified by her parents and also revealed that six of her fellow students were dead.

"And the information she gave them is that all of them are still in the kidnappers' custody. Only six of them died and that place is well secured. The Nigerian army can't penetrate [it]."


The rescued schoolgirl will meet with President Muhammadu Buhari today amid hopes that she can help shed light on the whereabouts of more than 200 other missing girls.

Presidential spokesman Garba Shehu told the Thomson Reuters Foundation that the girl is currently in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, but will be brought to the national capital Abuja to meet Buhari.

The rescue should give a boost to Buhari, a former military ruler who made crushing the Boko Haram Islamist insurgency a pillar of his presidential campaign in 2015.

Boko Haram captured 276 girls from a school in Chibok, northeast Nigeria, in April 2014, as part of a seven-year-old insurgency to set up an Islamic state in the north which has killed some 15,000 people and displaced more than 2 million.

Some girls escaped in the melee but parents of the remaining missing girls accused former President Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria's then leader, of not doing enough to find their daughters whose disappearance sparked a global campaign #bringbackourgirls.

Jonathan lost office in an election in March 2015.

Ali's mother, Binta Ali Nkeki, last year spoke of her daughter's fear of Boko Haram but of her enjoyment of attending school and doing well at her studies.

Her mother told the Murtala Muhammed Foundation, a Nigerian non-profit organisation researching a book on the missing Chibok girls, that she was not sure of the age of Ali, the youngest of her 13 children although only three survived their early years.

"She always sewed her own clothes," said her mother in the interview released to the Thomson Reuters Foundation by Aisha Oyebode of the Murtala Muhammed Foundation.

Binta said Ali's father died some months after his daughter was abducted.

"After Amina was kidnapped, only two (of our children) are left alive," she said, adding that her other son and daughter both live in Lagos.

She said she constantly thought of her lost daughter who had always helped her around the house.

"(My son) said I should take it easy and stop crying," she told the Foundation. "He reminded me that I am not the only parent who lost a child."

Additional information by Reuters