The NPA's conundrum: What to do next about Zuma corruption allegations

The NPA says it still needs some time to reflect on what it’s going to do next.

STANDING FIRM: President Jacob Zuma. Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it hasn't yet made a decision about whether it will appeal Friday's High Court ruling, that it was wrong to withdraw the corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma in 2009.

Last week the High Court in Pretoria said the decision taken by then acting NPA head Mokotedi Mpshe was irrational, which means the prosecuting body could now have to restart its prosecution of Zuma for taking money from Schabir Shaik.

WATCH: Zuma to have his day in court after corruption charges are reinstated

In 2005, Shaik was convicted of corruption for the money he paid to Zuma, but the NPA withdrew charges against Zuma himself, claiming there had been political interference over the timing of the lodging of charges against him. The decision was made after so-called spy tapes revealed that Leonard McCarthy, the head of the now disbanded Scorpions, discussing when Zuma should be charged.

The NPA says it still needs some time to reflect on what it's going to do next.

It now has 15 court days to decide whether to lodge an appeal and hope that the Supreme Court of Appeal or the Constitutional Court will find that it was right to withdraw the corruption charges against Zuma.

If the NPA doesn't appeal, Zuma himself could well go to court and start a process that could take up to two years.

The real decision appears to lie with NPA boss Shaun Abrahams, who was appointed to that post by Zuma and has been accused of protecting his deputy Nomgcobo Jiba.

She's been criticised for decisions that appear to have benefited Zuma and his allies in several other cases.

WATCH: New NPA boss - I wasn't hired to protect anyone