Security of CT councillors under review after a series of attacks

Mayco member Suzette Little & her driver were attacked in an attempted hijacking earlier this week.

FILE: Cape Town councillors in the Cape Town council met on Thursday 29 April for the first sitting of the New Year. Picture: Xolani Koyana/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The City of Cape Town's council is set to review the security of councillors following a series of attacks on officials.

Mayoral Committee Member for Social Development, Suzette Little and her driver were attacked in an attempted hijacking earlier this week.

A number of councillors raised concerns about safety at a council meeting yesterday.

Council Speaker Dirk Smit has told Eyewitness News the city had to place a councillor of the African National Congress (ANC) and his family in a safe house after an attack.

Smit says he's provided councilor Little with two bodyguards following the attempted hijacking.

"I have asked for a sample of a press button which they can use and get a quick response from the police."

ANC councillor Peter Gabriel says the council should be fair in its allocation.

"One of our councilors who's been in a life threatening situation for some time within his area has requested security for himself, but that has not been provided."

Mayor Patricia de Lille says councillor's who feel their lives are under threat, should provide Smit with a police case number.