Jeff Radebe: Govt welcomes arms deal findings
Radebe told journalists Cabinet was briefed on the commission’s report at its meeting last week.
He's told journalists at Parliament that Cabinet was briefed on the commission's report at its meeting last Wednesday, 13 April.
"As government, we welcome the findings of the commission. We have been vindicated as we have stated over many years that there was no wrongdoing and that the procurement had been above board."
Earlier today, President Jacob Zuma says there was no evidence placed before the commission to suggest there was fraud or corruption in the controversial deal.
Zuma made the announcement live on television this morning, after receiving the commission's final report in December.
He says the commission made several key findings with regards to the arms deal - one being that there was no evidence to suggest undue influence in the selection of preferred bidders.
Zuma says the commission also probed the consultants who worked with the bidding companies after suggestions that they were bribed.
"The commission states that not a single iota of evidence was placed before it showed that any of the money received by any of the consultants was paid to any officials."
The president says government indicated that if there were any findings pointing to wrongdoing, they would be handed over to law enforcement agencies for further action.
Radebe says Cabinet also welcomed President Zuma's response - and subsequent apology - to the Constitutional Court judgment on Nkandla.
He says Cabinet is now studying the judgment to find out whether any other actions are needed to strengthen the public service.
Radebe says the judgment "reinforces and asserts South Africa's constitutional democracy".