MEC Lesufi urges parents to give online registration a chance

Panyaza Lesufi announced the system went live at 2:30pm this afternoon, after two previous failed attempts.

Gauteng Education MEC, Panyaza Lesufi. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says the department is giving the developers of its online registration system until Friday to resolve the problems with the website.

Angry parents have vented their frustration after being unable to register their grade one and eight learners for the 2017 academic year.

Lesufi announced the system went live at 2:30pm this afternoon, after two previous failed attempts.

The MEC says he understands that parents are frustrated, but the overall outcome will be for the benefit of all pupils in the province. He has appealed for patience.

"By Monday if we still have this thing I will make an announcement [on] whether we are going back [to] paper or not. For now, I would urge parents, let's use online. The pain is too difficult but the results are sweet. We are doing this for the sake of ordinary children; those children that must get quality education fairly."

WATCH: GDE says online registration sorted, but parents still frustrated

Earlier today, frustrated parents said they had been camping outside schools since early this morning, waiting to register their children.

"We sat and listened and waited for the announcement to know what's going to happen, or that it's back online. Now it says it's not available again."

One parent, who is a teacher, says she had to leave her class to try get on the system.

"I have been trying all day; I am a teacher myself and was given permission to leave my class so that I can try and register my little girl for grade one. I have not been able to get onto the site all day."

LISTEN: 'Parents frustrated by GDE online registration system'.

However, some parents say they had their applications processed within minutes.