MEC Lesufi: Online registration now working
The launch of Gauteng Education's online application site was delayed due to technical problems.
JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has announced the department's online applications website will go live at 2:30 this afternoon.
Lesufi says all parents have now until 1 June to apply.
The province's online system registers children for grade 1 and 8.
Lesufi has come under heavy criticism and attack on social media from parents who have been made to wait for hours to register their children online for the 2017 academic year.
The department earlier this morning said its online registration website was set to go live at 10am after a two-hour delay due to a technical glitch.
The process had to be postponed last week due to a number of problems with the portal, which led it to crash.
My technicians preparing for the last hour! pic.twitter.com/GPIAZSFbip— Panyaza Lesufi (@Lesufi) April 19, 2016
Just before 10am Lesufi said his technicians were hard at work fixing the log-jam, but by 12pm the website was still not functioning.
"Dear Parents, I can feel your frustrations. I will update you, for sure. Don't despair, " the MEC's tweet said.
Minutes later Lesufi tweeted again, this time assuring parents that the technicians were almost done.
"We are almost there folks, will update you shortly."
At about 11am, the MEC took to Twitter again to apologise for the delay.