Pikitup mum on fresh allegation against Amanda Nair

Around 18 fresh allegations have been brought against Nair, who has previously been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Rubbish has been strewn on the streets of Johannesburg following another violent demostration in the city. Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - As Pikitup workers return to work today, Pikitup has not commented on fresh allegations by workers against the waste management company's Managing Director, Amanda Nair.

A five-week strike by workers affiliated to the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) ended at the weekend after an agreement was reached between the two parties.

Workers have previously accused Nair of ill treatment and failing to implement company procedures.

Chairperson of Pikitup's board Trish Hanekom says around 18 fresh allegations have been brought against Nair, who has previously been cleared of any wrongdoing.

"Samwu has raised some issues that are being investigated in the background and that means that there can be no perception or reality that has anything being covered up."

Despite this Nair will continue with her duties at the waste management company while an independent company investigates the fresh claims lodged against her.

The Congress of South African Trade Union (Cosatu)'s Dumisani Dakile says unlike the previous investigation, this one will be independent and will allow workers to make presentations.

"We're ready now with our presentation to the investigators for us to say in detail these are the issues that we bring to the table."

The independent company will report back in 30 days on the outcome of its investigation and negotiations about other issues will resume this morning, under the facilitation of the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).

PIKITUP HOPES CCMA RULING WILL RESOLVE MATTTES

Pikitup says it hopes the arbitration process that will be facilitated by the CCMA will ensure that there is no further work stoppages by employees.

A five-week strike by workers affiliated to the Samwu ended at the weekend after an agreement was reached between the two parties.

Salary negotiations will resume today and are expected to end on Wednesday.

Hanekom says it's unlikely that workers will strike again as an agreement has been reached to refer unresolved issues to arbitration.

"If we don't agree on Wednesday, it doesn't mean workers will strike on Thursday. There's a commitment to follow normal processes."

In the event that the arbitration process fails, a commitment has also been made that parties will consult each other regarding their rights.

The immediate return to work by Pikitup employees will also be taken into consideration in mitigation of sanctions during disciplinary hearings.

The City of Johannesburg says it will continue using contracted resources to clear the backlog of uncollected waste by the end of this month.

Dakile says workers have agreed to return to work immediately.

"Parties are prepared to go back to work and build what is termed in mediation processes as a relationship building exercise to restore relationships."

MMC for Environmental and Infrastructure services Matshidiso Mfikoe has apologised to Gauteng residents for the health hazard caused by the strike.

She says, "We will continue with the contracting services so that by the end of the month we have cleared all the backlog."